Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Sing and Be Happy


My son really had a rough time today.  After he turned on the garden hose (which he knows is off limits), I made him come in the house.  He absolutely fell apart.  He'd had a busy couple of days, and the exhaustion was showing in a melt-down.  It was naptime.  All of you who have had any contact with children know that the last thing a worn out four year old boy wants to do is take a nap.   He screamed; he kicked; he did all he could to keep himself awake.  None of my usual bribes or punishments was working.  So I started to sing: "Blessed Assurance" followed by "Sweet Hour of Prayer."  By the time I made it to "It Is Well With My Soul," he was asleep. 
Singing to my children is one of the many ways I use song in my walk as a Christian woman.  When my children were babies, hymns made up the majority of my lullabies.  As they have grown up, we try to incorporate songs throughout our day. I try to remember to sing "This is the Day" every morning while cooking breakfast.  It helps to set the tone for a grateful kind of day rather than a whiny one.  (Sometimes I'm the whiner). Songs are also very helpful teaching tools.  My oldest daughter can remember anything if it is set to music.  She knows her books of the New Testament, and has since she was four because of the simple song she learned.  There are many other songs out there to teach a variety of Bible topics from the judges of Israel to the disciples of Jesus.

Singing can also be a great asset to me when I'm alone.  Sometimes, my heart is so full of praise for my Savior that song is the best way to express it.  I especially like the "thank you" songs.  Even "Count Your Blessings," which has always sounded slightly cheesy to me, is a great one to sing when I'm feeling grateful.  In contrast, sometimes I have to sing to remind myself to be grateful.  When I'm grousing about the size of my kitchen or the state of my clothes, and I "hear" that small voice that tells me I'm being sinful, I sing the "thank you" songs or the praise songs in an attempt to "take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ" (2 Corinthians 10:5).

Singing can also be a great comfort to me in stressful situations. One of my least favorite things to do is drive in the pouring rain.  I usually lean forward, hunch my shoulders, and frown.  When I choose instead to sing hymn as a I drive, reminding myself that God is watching out for me, the  drive doesn't seem nearly so bad. Once, I was listening to some a cappella hymns while driving in the rain.  I had to laugh when "Till the Storm Passes By" played.  Then I sang along.

It should be no surprise to me that singing is a comfort in time of trouble as well as a way to teach my children.  After all, the Bible commands us to use song in this way. "Let the word of Christ dwell richly within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns, and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God" (Colossians 3:16).

How do you use singing in your Christian walk?  What's your favorite song or hymn?  Has singing helped you in a way I've not mentioned?  Share with us!
Melissa

Scripture taken from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE(R), Copyright(c) 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment