Monday, December 17, 2012

The Cure for Sin

Like many of you, I spent Friday afternoon sobbing.  My daughter is in kindergarten, and I couldn't help but picture her in that classroom in Connecticut.  I've blogged about how my children are in God's hands no matter what, but a tragedy like this reminds me that I have yet to let that truth saturate my very soul.  So I cried, and I attempted to pray.  I know the Spirit had to intercede for me (Romans 8:26) because I didn't know the words to say.  
 
Since then, I've seen the outrage about the need for gun control, the outrage against gun control, impassioned cries for better mental health services, impassioned cries that we not stigmatize the mentally ill, and a terribly inappropriate argument regarding "God in the schools."
 
My goal is not to join these cries, nor is it to have the next viral blog post about this tragedy.  My goal is simply to share with our small group of readers my own thoughts and convictions to come from this tragedy.
 
The Biblical fact is that we live in a fallen world, and the evidence of the corruption of sin is all around us.  We can blame guns, government policies, and poor health care all we want, but the truth remains that bad things happen because of sin.  I can't cure sin.  You can't cure sin.  The government certainly can't cure sin.  The only one who has the power to cure sin is Jesus Christ.  I'm not talking about becoming a Christian nation again, not in the sense of the laws anyway.  The only way for us to be a Christian nation is for there to be more Christians walking daily in His light.
 
And the truth is that I have not been doing my part to spread the news about the cure to sin.  I have been content to teach my children about Jesus and pretend that is enough to fulfill my role as a Christian.  It's not.  Yes, my children are a priority, and I certainly want them to be in heaven with me.  But I should deeply desire for everyone I know to be washed in the blood of Jesus.  My inaction has spoken louder than words.  I haven't cared enough.
 
What if Adam Lanza had become a Christian?  I'm not saying no one told him about the gospel.  I don't know the answer to that, but I am haunted by the "what-ifs."  Of course, I am also not implying that everyone who is not a Christian is a cold blooded killer.  But I do know that a person who truly understands Jesus and His kingdom does not engage in violent acts against humanity. Period.  
 
So what am I going to do?  I am going to ask  you to pray for me.  Pray that I keep my job ever foremost in my mind. Pray that I spread the gospel as I am commanded to do.  

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment