Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Favorite Biblical Female

Today I would like to talk about one of my favorite Bible females. We can learn many lessons from her.  As a faithful friend who walked close to another for many years, she practiced quiet companionship without any of the techniques that most women have perfected (like nagging, I told you so, etc). She never caused any harm to her friend but did her very best to help bear burdens whenever needed.  
    


One day, however, all of that changed.  They were walking along the road as normal when the friend began walking towards danger.  She first tries a couple of tricks that had worked in the past to redirect her companion.  These were met with cruelty.  When the impending doom came to the critical level, she tried what had worked for others, standing firm and refusing to budge. This caused the infliction of even more pain.  

Finally, not out of anger and resentment, but in true confusion and love, she resorted to confrontation.    As the strong silent type, this did not come naturally for her.  Her friend, however, was on such a destructive path that she could stay silent no longer.  Besides, she realized that her friend's behavior had gone so far that she was probably going to suffer the consequences as well.  She asked her friend very directly the reason for the meanness in response to actions meant to help.  Suddenly her friend's eyes were open to the truth, and understanding dawned clearly explaining the unexpected behavior.  

At this point, some of you are saying, "I have read my Bible all the way through, and there is no such woman in the Bible."  You are correct.  The character that I have talked about while female is actually Balaam's donkey from Numbers 22.  

Even from a donkey, we can come away with a number of lessons.  The first lesson that we can learn is that nagging like a dripping faucet is not necessary to move our men (Proverbs 27:15).  Another lesson is the reminder to bear one another's burdens (Galatians 6:2).  She also learned that companions of fools will suffer (Proverbs 13:20).   However, one of my favorite lessons that we can learn from her is one that I heard a man preach about a number of years ago and have never forgotten.

Donkey's aren't known for being particularly smart or skilled creatures, and yet here is one that God used to bring about his will.  I may not be very skilled or talented, but surely He has blessed me with more talents than a donkey.  If He can use this creature to accomplish His will, surely He can use me.  I shouldn't waste my abilities by comparing myself to others and fretting about what I can't do. I simply need to find ways to use these gifts whether great or small.


Jane
Scripture taken from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE(R), Copyright(c) 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment