Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Bible Talk

My nerdliness is firmly established, so I don't mind admitting that I'm a talk radio fan. I listen to it whenever I'm in the car to keep my mind engaged. Lately, though, I've been noticing a trend of being mildly depressed and anxious after hearing too much talk radio. It's no wonder.  Talk hosts are masters of sensationalism.  It's how they make their living.

One day, when I was tired of hearing about how common core will be the death of education, I started flipping stations (carefully, with my eyes on the road).  On the lower band, where I often hear fuzzy sounding gospel music or screaming preachers (no offense to any screaming preachers out there; it just isn't my style), I instead found a scholarly sounding man giving an excellent exegesis of a prayer of Daniel, including some fantastic application. 

The man was Stuart Briscoe, and the program was "Today in the Word Radio" on on the Moody Bible Radio station.  The website describes the program this way: "Today in the Word Radio features daily messages from the wide variety of pastors and evangelists who have spoken at Moody Bible Institute conferences and events over the years."  On that day, I happened to catch Stuart Briscoe as the evangelist.  His ability to take a tricky bit of Scripture and make it understandable in just a few words was astounding to me. Better yet, I got out of the car feeling energized and prayerful!

Since then, I have pre-set the Moody Bible Radio station on my car radio, and I have really enjoyed listening to the different speakers.  Of course, I don't agree with everything I hear, but I find that I would rather listen to a Bible talk station that I don't always agree with than a talk radio about politics that I do!  

I was so impressed with Mr. Briscoe, that I found his podcast, "Telling the Truth" and subscribed to it as well. This podcast features him as well as his wife Jill and his son Pete.  One day, I was going out to do my run.  I have not yet achieved the "runners high," and I still dread the exercise, so I was looking for a way to change my routine. Instead of listening to music, I switched on a podcast.  By a strange coincidence (wink, wink), Pete Briscoe was talking about the comparisons Paul makes between the Christian walk and running a race.  It was my best run in weeks!  

I shouldn't be surprised that listening to Biblical talk is so good for my state of mind. Our Whatsoever Wednesday verses make that very promise!  

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you. Philippians 4:8-9.  

God's commands for me are not for His benefit.  He knows that when I dwell on these good things, I will have a peace from Him.  He wants the very best for me, and His Word guides me to that very best.  
` 

Scripture taken from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE(R), Copyright(c) 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment