Wednesday, October 9, 2013

An Electronic Fast

Facebook logo (square)
Isn't it annoying when someone uses technology to tell you that you are using too much technology?  Like a Facebook post about how we all spend too much time on Facebook?  Yeah, it's obnoxious.  So I'm not gonna do that.  Not exactly.   What I am going to do is to tell you why I decided that I needed an electronic fast, and what taking one day off from electronics did for me.  Understand that I don't think everyone who has a Facebook account spends too much time on it, nor do I think everyone needs to take a day off technology. This is about confession, not judgment. 


Recently, I came to the realization that I was wasting way too much time on the computer and the tablet.  I don't mean checking Facebook a few times a day or playing a game here and there.  I had the sound on my computer turned up so that I could hear when I got a notification or an email.  In the middle of sweeping the floor, I would stop to find out what email I had gotten.  Of course, since I was already sitting down at the computer, I went ahead and scrolled down my news feed.  And it was really easy to pick up the tablet to play just one more level of whatever app I was hooked on at that time.  Soon, thirty minutes had passed while I was just goofing off.   My housework was suffering, my family was suffering, and I was suffering!  I felt guilty for all my time-wasting, but I had a hard time stopping.  

I decided the best way for me to deal with my lack of self-control was the cold turkey method.  For one day, I turned off the computer and buried my Kindle and Kindle Fire in my sock drawer. (What? It worked!)  I expected I would get more housework done that day, but I learned a lot more about myself than how much work I can do without a computer on:

I learned that I waste as much time anticipating using electronic devices as I do actually using them.  I thought about what status to put on Facebook, a new strategy for my app, or which news site to read well before I actually sat down with the computer or tablet Instead of "taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ" (2 Corinthians 10:5) my thoughts were frivolous.  

I really can use 10 minute blocks of time effectively when I don't have the distraction of a device.  I'm the kind of person that would rather take one hour to get a job done from start to finish than use several ten minute increments thought out the day.  But when the computer is shut, I find I may as well unload and load the dishwasher before taking the kids to school, even if I have to clean the rest of the kitchen after I get back.

Electronics probably keep me from getting the rest I need.  When I would sit down to take a short break without a screen in front me, I fell asleep nearly every time.  I wonder if I used my little one's nap time as a time for Mommy to nap too, would I feel more rested every morning?

The next day, I didn't even have the desire to play an app.  Taking a day off broke the hold the game had over me.  So even when I brought the devices back out, I wasted less time, just from taking ONE day off.

I don't know the Bible nearly as well as I though I did.  As I was studying my Bible, and I wanted to find a passage about Nadab and Abihu, or the verse about casting all our cares upon God, I really missed my search engine.  I think I need to memorize one of those lists: Where to look when you want to know about... 

An electronic fast did not make me the best time manager in the world over night.  I was still not terribly efficient in getting my work done.  I think I need a course on time management.

It doesn't take that much time to "catch up" on email, Facebook, and other social media after just one day out.  Honestly, I doubt if anyone but me noticed what I was doing. 

At the end of the day, I didn't feel deprived.  I felt energized.  I'll be making this a weekly habit.

On today's Whatsoever Wednesday, instead of sharing with you what I have watched, read or listened to that helped me think on pure and lovely thoughts, I have shared how avoiding electronic habits helped me learn more about myself and my habits.  I'm hoping as this electronic fast becomes a habit, I can use my screen free time to meditate more on the Bible or spend more time in prayer to help me follow Philippians 4:8-9 even closer.  

Melissa

Scripture taken from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE(R), Copyright(c) 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission.
We're so glad you've come and visited with us today. Keep the connection going by subscribing to our blog, liking our page on Facebook   or following Helene on Pinterest or Google +.  Don't forget to share or comment if something you've read touched you. (Yes, we understand how ironic it is to be luring you to Facebook on this post).

No comments:

Post a Comment