Sunday, December 3, 2017

7 Ways to NOT Reach the Lost this Christmas



How NOT to Reach the Lost this Christmas! Tips and simple actionable Evangelism ideas this Christmas.
The Top 7 Ways to NOT reach the Lost this Christmas

7. At least once a day post something on Facebook that includes, “Like the Baby Jesus and receive a blessing today!”
6. Shout “Jesus is the Reason for the Season” at everyone who dares to wish you, "Happy Holidays."
5. Give complex explanations about the historical/mythical syncretism that connect Christmas and Saturnalia.
4. Every time some one says, “Elf on a Shelf” mutter “Tool of Satan” under your breath.
3. Insist that political correctness is ruining Christmas.  Lecture everyone who will listen on how President Trump will save us from this travesty.
2. Give out tracts instead of Christmas presents.


And...last but not least!

1. Focus on your family, your presents, your shopping, your music, your decorations and your traditions.  Just let the season slip away without seeing those around you who are lost and longing for Jesus.


Of course I say all that tongue in cheek.  And if you really think that the Elf on the Shelf is a tool of Satan, we can talk about it.  I think that little guy is super creepy myself.  But here is the point: vaunting our (however sincere) thoughts on Christmas, doesn't necessarily help people see Christ.

Every Christian nods her heads when I say "we should reach out to anyone and everyone who is willing to talk about Jesus!" And yet Christmas rolls around and we aren't effectively talking to the lost about Jesus at one of the few times of a year He is on their minds.  Sometimes that is because we are entangled in our own “issues," and sometimes that is because we are embroiled in our own pain and sorrow. But frequently it is because while are enjoying our holiday, the days slip by. 

How NOT to Reach the Lost this Christmas! Tips and simple actionable Evangelism ideas this Christmas.For the last couple of years I have posted Christmas meditations--short thoughts about our lives and their relation to the Christmas story.  (I've gathered them into an ebook!  Check out our Holiday Bundles).  But this year, for the sake of the lost and for the sake of those who should be searching for them, I am going to be posting some connections we can make between the people we are reaching out for and the Christ who came reaching down for them.


Join me this month for posts to help you help the people you care about and for videos that can be shared on Facebook or via email directly with lost folks. (Ready to get started today?  Subscribe today and receive a PDF: 21 days to Effective Evangelism.)




9 comments:

  1. Great list Helene! I think elf on the shelf is a bit creepy too. I have no issue whatsoever with Happy Holidays (it was derived from Holy days after all).

    I'd like to share a tradition that our family began several years ago. We love doing it. We buy inexpensive books, not tracts but small books. In the past Piper offered a couple of different books for around $1 each. Or if I find a Pilgrim's Progress, or Don't Waste Your Life, or something else good, that looks new at the thrift store, I'll buy it. We wrap them and give them out when we shop, eat, get coffee etc. (If a restaurant, we always tip well if we leave a book). A book is different than a tract, cd, or anything else, people get excited about it and usually won't throw a book away. We've never had an ugly reaction and even had some tell us their story in response to the gift and received many hugs too.

    Christy
    I poppped over from Sunday Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christy! I love this idea! Although my list is silly, I really am very serious about reaching the lost at Christmas time. And you are on exactly the right track! Giving out books shares a gift people value and the Savior you value!

      Delete
  2. Great points, Helene, and I love that you're going to be offering us helps for Christmas-time evangelism in the days to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evangelism, I think, is one of those topics we feel guilty about but don't actually understand how to do day by day! So let the actionable tips and simple openings roll!

      Delete
  3. Really love this. It made me laugh out loud at the first sentence, and caused me to think about how being true to my faith looks to the lost. Pinning to share. Thanks, Helene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I think we often share things between ourselves, debates, thoughts, issues, arguments without thinking about the forum we are in. I mean I would never have a public disagreement with a family member on facebook. NEVER. So why do I think it is ok to air even polite disagreements with my sisters and brothers on the same site? You are 100% right we have to THINK about how our faith looks to the lost. Not because we are inauthentic, not because we are hypocrites but because we are all things to all me that we may win a few.

      Delete
  4. I love your approach to not slam people over the head with Jesus but rather invite them into a relationship with him. It makes all the difference! Thanks for sharing this. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Relationship. That's the key word. Can you imagine slamming someone over the head with arguments and anger in order to introduce them to our parents? Jesus is a person someone who wants to be their friend and shepherd, their leader and their love. Surely an invitation is the right way!!!! I appreciate your comment so much!

      Delete
  5. Wow, we have the same message on our hearts this year. I too have been drawn to the lost and wanting to encourage others to reach out. It is fun to find another with with the same message. My post this Thursday is about reaching out when I didn't really want to.

    ReplyDelete