Sunday, March 18, 2018

Shoes: Or Why Sunday Mornings Are the Worst!

This is the introduction to another 12 week series of short Sunday morning devotionals for my readers. Last summer’s series focused on the Lord’s Supper and this summer will be focused on the heart of worship.  They will be about 5 minutes worth of reading, just right for enjoying with a cup of coffee before the kids get up. They’ll will arrive in your in-box before you wake up on Sunday morning.

“SHOES!”  I bellowed.  

Shoes: Or Why Sunday Mornings are the Worst!  Are Sunday mornings hard at your house?  Need something sweet and centering to start your day, get you mind ready for worship?  I have just the thing!I don’t like bellowing.  It’s almost always a bad choice.  Unless someone’s life is in danger-- say from an oncoming train-- that is an acceptable time to bellow.

Once again, Sunday morning was a proverbial train wreck.  I had to make an emergency run to the supermarket for one last ingredient for Sunday lunch.  The kitchen was a mess from the frantic lunch preparations and somehow while I dashed out (still not dressed for church), my youngest had not managed to get out of her pajamas.  

With minutes to go, papers to print off for my Sunday school class and maybe children’s church, clothes to throw on, and my mind in a whirl, I spat directions at the kid.  I zipped through the last of my tasks, found the checkbook, grabbed my purse, put my phone on silent, thanked God under my breath that we live a 30 second walk across the parking lot from the church building and turned to see my tween staring at the ceiling.  

That’s when I looked down at that phone, saw we were supposed to start in less than 5 minutes (Who knows what the kids are doing in my class?!) and bellowed for her to put on her shoes. 

I’d like to tell you that this is very unusual and that we typically have an idyllic Sunday morning (to be fair since the disaster I just told you about we have done some better), but this kind of chaos is not out of the ordinary for us.  I wondered if your Sundays are similar.  Do you walk in the doors to your auditorium, thinking more about needing sanctuary from your crazy day, than about the time you get to set aside to sing, pray and spend time with your sisters and brothers learning about God?

If so I have an idea for you, from June through August, I’d like to drop a little devo in your in-box.  Something to help you center your mind on God first thing in the morning before the chaos of getting everyone ready gets started.  You send me your email (you’ll be subscribing to get a couple of other freebies and I’ll be sending you an email every couple of weeks letting you know what’s new on the blog) and I’ll get those devotional emails started in June!  Click here to subscribe.  If you are already subscribed, you’ll be getting those emails automatically, don’t worry!

If you are thinking that you don’t want to wait until June, I’d love to send you over to “Around The Table” with Sharon Fleming.  I am guest posting over there with an expansion post from last summer’s devotional series.  Check it out and then come click through to sign up to get those devotionals too! 

Catch me linking up at any of these fine places: Mommy-MomentsSpiritual Sundays, Inspire Me MondayHolly GerthThe Mom GeneGood Morning Monday,  The Modest Mom BlogMoments of HopeGod-sized DreamsGlimpsesBreakthrough Homeschooling,Be Thee Inspired, Facebook.com/groups/saltandlightgroup

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps this will encourage you a bit: One Sunday I asked my husband which brown shoes looked better with my outfit. He picked and off we went to church with our teenagers. As I was kneeling, praying for a friend, my son and his friend came up behind me to pray for me! I felt so blessed until we rose and they laughed. They knelt behind me to hide the fact that my shoe soles were TWO DIFFERENT COLORS! Yup. I had on two different shoes! But what sweet boys to try and protect me.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a fantastic story and just the sort of thing that might happen at my house! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sunday mornings are chaotic with three (soon to be four) littles, I really need to get better about preparing my heart, not just my family. Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete