Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Thankful for Christ

Beautiful sky at LUMC
Happy Thanksgiving from all of us to all of you.  No Thanksgiving week blog would be complete without an article about being thankful.  I needed a break from Ezekiel and my husband's work recently led him to an interest in the book of Hebrews, so I decided to read the first ten verses of this book over the weekend.   As I read, I was reminded of Christ's superior power, His humanity, and of the salvation found in Him.  All these are things for which we can be eternally grateful.
 
I am appreciative that I have a savior who is so powerful.  As I have traveled, I have been amazed at the beauty of all that has been created.  Anyone who has ever held a newborn baby can't help but be amazed at the intricacies of the human body.  All the universe was made through Him (Hebrews 1:2).   We cannot even begin to imagine His power, but we reap the benefits of it every day of our lives.

I am  as thankful for His humanity as I am for His power.  Jesus understands us because He was one of us.  Since He died as a man, death lost its hold on us (Hebrews 2:14).  His being like us in every way makes Him merciful and faithful to us as our high priest (Hebrews 2:17).   In our human weaknesses, He can sympathize with us because He was tempted but never sinned (Hebrews 4:15).  Christ also had to learn obedience through the things He suffered, just as we do (Hebrews 5:8).  I am grateful to have a savior that has walked in our shoes.

Most importantly, though, I am thankful for the great salvation--which was announced by the Lord, confirmed by those who heard Him, and testified to by signs and miracles--that can only be found in Jesus (Hebrews 2:2-4).  His death provides purification from our sins (Hebrews 1:3).  By offering up Himself, He tasted death for each and every one of us (Hebrews 2:9 & Hebrews 7:27).  The law served as a shadow to which He is the reality (Hebrews 10:1).  I am so thankful that we have the law for it makes me so much more thankful for everything that we have in Christ.

We are truly blessed that the almighty creator of the world came down to live and die in order to usher in a better way and to free us from the power of sin.  Please share below the blessings from Christ for which you are most thankful.  
 

Jane
Scripture taken from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE(R), Copyright(c) 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment