Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Snooze Button

This morning my alarm went off.  I hit the snooze once.  It went off again.  I thought I should get up and read my Bible.  Then I thought again.  Snoozing some more sounds much better, or I could play my iPad some before I get up.  

Just as I was reaching for the iPad for one of these more appealing sounding options, James 4:17 came to mind: "Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin." Ouch.  I got up, got my  iPad out and read James 4.

This morning the Spirit won the battle, but so much more frequently the flesh wins.  "I should call so and so and encourage them.  I should visit so and so. I need to spend some time praying.  I ought to give to that beggar. I have got to get that stack of papers graded.  That pile of laundry is out of control.  It needs washed."  Then off I go doing what I want rather than the good thing that I know that I should do.  James doesn't say this is my choice or what I deserve, but that this is sin.  I don't know about you, but my toes really hurt this morning.  Now off to plan the lesson that I should have done days ago.   
Jane 
Scripture taken from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE(R), Copyright(c) 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment