Sunday, April 2, 2017

Twitchy and Giggles or Why I I Have a Communion Problem

Standing at the front, a solemn brother reminds the congregation that the bread he holds in his hands is the body of Jesus Christ.  Sitting in the pew, I raise an eyebrow as the kid I JUST told to put her feet down sneaks them back up.

He entones, “Let us pray.”  With half an eye open, I keep watch on Twitchy and Giggles ready to thump them if they get too loud.



The bread is passed. I am putting an arm around one child and patting another on the shoulder to remind them to be still, so my long-term nightmare of one of them upending the plate and sending Matzos sailing into the air doesn’t actually come to fruition. 

I hope the Lord can forgive my lack of attention.  I want to focus; I really do.   And, don't get me wrong.  It's a privilege to have them, and they are good kids.   But I find that my pewful makes focus a real challenge.

I come to worship with my own daughters sitting with me but frequently also the daughters of a neighbor and the daughter of a friend.  My pew is jam-packed with little people who for whatever reason can’t be with their own mom at church.  

I have been again in the busy days.  

So I got to thinking, how often Moms and Grandmas, neighbors and Sunday school teachers need a little extra help.  And since my pew is too full to come sit beside you to gently redirect your little people, I have something else to offer.  Something I have been focusing on before the hustle of Sunday morning gets started. 

Starting in May, I will be offering a 12-week series of devotionals to prepare you for the Lord’s Supper.  Each will be delivered to your in-box on Saturday night so that you can read through it with your first cup of coffee. 


The only thing you need to do to participate is give me your email address! You can find the subscriber box in the top left-hand corner.  I won't flood your in-box, I promise. 

May Christ bless you this and every week as you meet Him at His table. 

Helene

PS.  Several people have let me know that they can't see the subscriber box!  Please feel free to email me and I will add you to the list!

9 comments:

  1. This is SUCH a great idea! Thanks for sharing on the #sundaythoughts link up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jaime! I am super excited to share these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you I'm excited

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helene, I like your idea of preparing our hearts for the Lord's supper. I remember one minister saying that in the early church the Lord's supper was part of the meal. It was a joyful time, a time of remembering what Jesus had done and a time of looking forward to our Lord's return. He has several children, so maybe they helped him keep it real.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea for a resource! I often have difficulty focusing during service because I have little ones distracting me. It's a distraction I welcome, but it would be nice to get more out of Lord's Supper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon, I was just tell my husband this. I welcome those little people with all my heart, but that doesn't mean I don't need the extra help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great way to prepare hearts for communion for the busy mama. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete