Friday, December 18, 2015

Christmas Meditation: A Life Fulfilled

Now there was a man in Jerusalem called Simeon, who was righteous and devout. He was waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was on him. It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen the Lord’s Messiah. Moved by the Spirit, he went into the temple courts. When the parents brought in the child Jesus to do for him what the custom of the Law required, Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying:

“Sovereign Lord, as you have promised,
you may now dismiss your servant in peace.
For my eyes have seen your salvation,
which you have prepared in the sight of all nations:
a light for revelation to the Gentiles,
and the glory of your people Israel.” 
Luke 2:25-32


 At 38 I have lived a rich life.  I’ve been to amazing places and done amazing things.  But I have so many joys yet to come. I want to run a half-marathon and have a book published. I want many more Christmases to watch my family grow up.  I want sons-in-law and grandchildren to surround my tree.  I have so much life to live!

Simeon had lived too.  We don’t know his story.  Had his life had been full of adventure or the joys of domesticity?  Did he have happy memories of Passovers and Hanukahs?  Of days spent admiring the glory of the Lord in the temple?  All we know about his story is the end of it, the fulfillment of his life’s hopes and dreams. 

He saw Jesus. 


If somehow all the wonder and richness of my life on earth were stolen away, may I always be satisfied because with the eyes of faith I have seen the salvation God sent so long ago!

Helene

Ps.  This will be our last post for the month.  But we are excited to be rejoining you after New Year.  And if you have meditations on the wonders of Jesus' arrival here on earth we'd love to read them.  Leave us a link (or a copy) in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. I loved this comment Helen," If somehow all the wonder and richness of my life on earth were stolen away, may I always be satisfied because with the eyes of faith I have seen the salvation God sent so long ago!" I pray this as well. Merry Christmas from your neighbor at Tell It To Me Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen!
    It is good reading this! Simeon is rarely spoken about and now reading this is refreshing.
    Hugs Helene
    Enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete