Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Acts 8:The Ethiopian

Revised Version Bible 03
Have you ever been discouraged in your Bible reading because you just don't understand what you are reading?  If you are anything like me, you might be tempted to give up on your reading when you get to a section like this.  When I recently read Acts 8, I had a thought about these difficult sections.

In Acts 8, Luke introduces us to a man from Ethiopia.  This man is sitting in his chariot reading from the book of Isaiah.  He doesn't understand what he is reading.  Philip is lead by the Spirit to go up to  the man.  He asks him if he understands.  The man responds, that he can't understand if he doesn't have someone to explain it to him.  Even though he didn't have anybody to explain it to him, he kept reading (Acts 8:28-31).  

Sometimes I feel like the Ethiopian.  I think I need someone to explain things from the scriptures to me.  I need to be more like this man and persevere in my reading even when I don't understand.  I believe often when we do this the Spirit puts something or someone in our path to help us understand.  Even if this doesn't happen, we can still rest assured that what we are reading still comes from Him and is still profitable for us (2 Timothy 3:16).   What helps you persevere in your reading through the difficult places? Please share your thoughts below.
Jane
Scripture taken from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE(R), Copyright(c) 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment